Adjustable Bed: Custom King Doppelflex MX2 TWO-MOTOR ADJUSTABLE SYSTEM (28″ x 77.5″ – Custom RV Dimensions). To lift platform for storage access, cut back external frame 29 inches. (Platform hinge location is 28.5 inches from headboard). This results in 49 inch section of the lower external frame available to be screwed onto platform using four L-shape brackets for each adjustable bed. This platform (with the adjustable beds and mattresses) can then be raised normally to access the storage area.
Dreamwave DW 800 (medium-firm,to the comfy)
Two Custom mattresses, each 28 X 76 inches.
RV Model:Winnebago Itasca
Customer: Joshua Cohen
Location: Hayden, Idaho
We installed the AxelBloom Doppelflex MX2 Split Queen in our 2014 Itasca (Winnebago) Sunstar 35F Class A motorhome. We were able to use the existing platform and save the very thin storage space below the bed, although were we willing to give it up if necessary.
I wanted to keep the original platform, if possible. The platform (Photo A, B and C), though, was very thin. It was constructed of 1/8” plywood top and bottom with a 3/4” pine inner structure around the edges, with plastic edging. I elected to build up the platform by adding 1/2” baltic birch plywood to the top of the platform, making it far more rigid and giving the screws solid purchase.
The platform lifted showing the shallow storage area below. (Photo D). I removed the clips on the bottom of the struts to remove them from their pivots.
I removed the fixed portion of the original bed platform to see what was underneath (Photo E). I ended up not needing to use this compartment for running any wires. I removed the two side shade holders from either side of the window. These would have interfered with the raising bed. We don’t travel with the shades down anyway…
Photo F shows the plywood cut to rough size. I made it around 1/16” oversized in each dimension.
With the plywood in place, I traced the shape of the rounded corners with a pencil (Photo G)
After rough-cutting the shape of the curves with a jigsaw, I screwed the plywood to the platform, making sure to install screws into the pine boards sandwiched between the thin plywood of the platform (Photo H)
In Photo I, you can see the overhang of the rough-cut plywood corners. I trimmed the entire edges of the birch plywood topper with a flush-trim bit in my handheld router (Photo J).
Photo K shows the corner after trimming with the router. I later sanded the edges of the plywood.
I cut a new plywood topper for the fixed portion of the bed, creating a small matching cutout at the top (Photo L).
Photo M, the plywood screwed down.
After I reinstalled the struts, I installed the bed frames onto the platform. This involves removing the pairs of slats above the “L” brackets and lifting the leg portion of the bed using the motor. It helps that the soft slat holders are very pliable and easily removed. I was also fortunate to have an extra-long driver bit, plus a bit extender. This allowed me to position the drill-driver with one hand, and reach down with my other hand near the “L” brackets to hold the screws in place for installing. Photo N.
I installed the side and foot holds for the mattresses on the two bed frames. Because our RV has the bed on the rear slide-out, the foot of the bed slides underneath the hanging cabinets on the opposite side of the RV. I offset the foot holds accordingly. Once I established where the bed frames would be installed on the new platform, with the bed frames 1/2” apart, I routed the wires near the edge of the bed. The power cords are routed toward the head of the bed (where the outlets are), but I found it was easier to simply surface-mount the wires than bury them underneath the platform. I would have had to drill too many holes to hide the wires only about half of their run. The wire you see disappear under the platform in the foreground of the photo is for the nightlight. I would later install these underneath the carpeted ledge using double-sided tape. I also used a wire clip screwed to the platform underneath the bed frame to contain the wires there, but away from the lateral bars that rest on the plywood platform. See Photo O.
Photo P, the bed frames installed on the plywood.
THE FINISHED PROJECT!